Fourth Needs Assessment held at Chennai, 5.03.2016
Participant Suggestions regarding content of leadership training:
- Capacity Building of the staff: There was a strong demand of capacity building in the following areas –
- 21st century teaching skills to update teachers with changes in pedagogy.
- Skills to manage disaster and conflict.
- Assessment Techniques.
- Policies and Procedures: A strong demand was to have standardized policies and procedures; Child Protection Policy, Child Behaviour Policy, School Manual, Roles and Responsibilities of the School Leader and Teachers.
- Inclusive Learning: Inclusion of children in differing learning abilities in the classroom. Inclusion of children from economically weaker sections in the private schools.
- Parent Engagement: The tools required to deal with parents and engage them effectively.
- Data Management: Need of an MIS system. Tools to analyse student data; student composition- gender wise, caste wise, religion wise to ensure diversity. Data on student attendance, data on student health and hygiene.
- Value Integration: The integration of ethical values in school curriculum.
- Teacher Recruitment and Competency Building: The recruitment of teachers and building of their competencies is also seen as a challenge.
- Certifications from technical bodies as ISO, external auditors to audit the safety measures and procedures in the school.
Modalities for Training suggested:
- 2 – 3 hour sessions to exchange best practices.
- There could be online/software modules once a week.
- Introduction of MIS systems in the schools.
- Financial Training